College Central is a powerful online tool for students and alumni to maintain a resume and find jobs. Click here to register now. There are many reasons to sign up:
- Search for jobs posted exclusively for Wilmington University students.
- Build a résumé with Résumé Builder or upload a résumé so it can be searched by employers.
- Receive e-mails about programs, services and job-related topics.
- Gain access to announcements, upcoming events, career advice documents, career advice videos, and career articles from over 125 authors.
- Build an online portfolio in Career Portfolio CentralSM to support your résumé and demonstrate your best work to employers.
Online Interviewing Workshop
Register for an online career planning workshop (accessible through Blackboard) to have your resume critiqued by the Wilmington University Career Services Office. Please email email@example.com to register today! The deadline to sign up is February 22
Online Job Search Strategies Workshop
Looking for a new job? Need help searching? Register for this online workshop to review up to date tips and techniques! Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org. Service available from March 7-21.
Access FREE online webinars at TalentMarks.com! Just create a username and password and you will have access to great webinars from the experts in Career Development!
Confucius once said, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
Hiding old courses in Blackboard
If you have too many courses listed on your Blackboard Welcome Page and would like to hide the old ones, here’s how you can create a custom view of the courses in your account by using the “pencil” icon.
Look for the pencil icon at the top-right corner of the My Courses list or in the Courses tab. Click the pencil to toggle the checkboxes to customize your view. If you want to display “hidden” courses again, use the pencil icon to bring them back. Make sure you uncheck the “Announcements” box, also, or those will still be there and not connected to their course.
Logging off of Blackboard
Did you know that if you just close your access to Blackboard by clicking that little “X”, that you are not logged off the system? This could have serious implications if you are on a public computer or someone else uses yours. Always click on “logout” to make you Blackboard account is protected.
This Resource Guide details the many types of materials available in the library’s collection. Wilmington University librarians hand-selected subject-specific databases, Web sites, books, and other sources for each discipline.
Since its launch, the Library’s LibGuides site has continued to expand. Now a total of twenty-five guides on a variety of topics, including course-specific guides, are available. Wilmington University Library LibGuides cover all major areas including Business, Education, Health & Nursing, Social & Behavioral Sciences and Technology.
View the Wilmington University Library LibGuides site now!
During the week of November 8-12, Wilmington University along with other schools around the nation celebrate National Distance Learning Week by showcasing their programs for current and prospective students. Read more below about Wilmington University’s endeavors to celebrate NDLW.
Wilmington University Online students were encouraged to log on to Facebook and enter the Where’s Wiley Photo Competition. Check out the submissions below and click here to find out if your favorite picture won!
Wilmington University Online students and faculty were surveyed to find out what they enjoy most about online learning or teaching. Below is a sample of their responses:
- The flexibility of completing my work around my busy life. With online learning there is no excuse that one cannot complete their degree.
- I learn more when I take online classes than going to school.
- Direct, quick and fast way to learn.
- It has flexible times and saves a lot of gas money.
- I have met many interesting students from across the country. Students also get an opportunity to relate their experiences to the coursework.
- The use of different technology to communicate during the semester. I really enjoyed his weekly messages to the class that he posted on YouTube.
- I travel often for work; so online courses offer me the ability to stay in college while I advance my career.
- Not fighting for parking on-site.
Did you know there are Wilmington University students in Hawaii? In fact, students are taking classes in 415 different zip codes across the US! Each red marker on the map below represents one of these zip codes.
Check out this video for other interesting facts about Wilmington University Online that may surprise you.
Imagine a system that collects information about students in order to make useful suggestions regarding course schedules, instructors, and services. Here are a few examples of how this system could benefit students:
- New Students receives a link to the online orientation
- A student with a high GPA receives a link to the honors program; a student with low grades will be pointed to tutoring services.
- Based on the pattern of classes you’ve taken in the past, a class schedule will be created – already screened for prerequisites. They also don’t have a time conflict with when a work schedule.
There is a recently developed technology system called Sherpa which does just this. With more information about students, the suggestions could get more specific. What do you think about this type of technology? Is it a great new convenience or is data mining student information inappropriate?
Should Facebook be integrated into classroom instruction? Does it improve communication between students and instructors? On the hand, is it too much of an intrusion into students’ personal and social lives for educators to be using it as an educational method? Is it just too much of a distraction from learning? Gain a broader perspective of this topic by reading this article on 100 Ways You Should Be Using Facebook in Your Classroom.
The Wilmington University Online Facebook Page is dedicated to helping students establish an interactive presence on Facebook by engaging with their campus community. We want to hear from you, so please use this page as a forum. Below are two of the topics in higher education being discussed now on the page, share your opinions by writing on the page’s wall!
What is Wimba Pronto?
Wimba Pronto is the only instant collaboration system specifically designed to advance and promote learning. It enables registered users to instantly connect with classmates and instructors by working with the institution’s Learning Management System to automatically populate a list of that user’s courses and classmates. Use it to whiteboard with study groups, ask an instructor a question or video chat with classmates or colleagues.
How to download Wimba
- Login to Blackboard
- Click on one of your courses
- Under the Tools menu, click Communication
- Scroll down and click the Wimba Pronto link
- Follow the directions on the sign up page. Once complete, you can use Pronto at any time.
On his way to a Caravel High School football game in Bear, Delaware!
In front of MTV’s Jersey Shore Italian flag garage that was painted over in Seaside Heights, NJ!
Wiley getting his feet wet in Delaware’s Rehoboth Beach!
Now it’s YOUR turn to join the fun and win cool prizes! It’s simple – just take a picture with Wiley in the photo and then post the picture on the Where’s Wiley Event Wall on the Wilmington University Online Facebook Page. There will be grand prizes for the top 3 winners and also giveaways for every online student whom submits their photo. Don’t forget to vote for your favorite photo!