Meet a Wildcat Co-op: Kaitlin M.

by Lauren Haas

kaitlin1Last month, I asked Video and Motion Graphics major Kaitlin M. some questions about her co-op experience. This is an exciting time for her, as graduation is coming up next summer! Kaitlin is well on her way to her career goal: to edit feature films.

Kaitlin began her co-op experience in Summer 2014 at Harvest Ridge Winery in Marydel, DE. She is learning real-world, practical skills on the job while earning college credit toward her degree. Read on to learn more about how Kaitlin is making the most of her education here at WilmU.

Describe your co-op experience: where do you work and what do you do there?

I currently work at Harvest Ridge Winery in Marydel, DE as a video intern. My main responsibility is to use multimedia outlets to promote the winery. I take pictures and video of the winery, as well as special events, to post on their YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_OwcEioY_D34J9WBWSmIrQ) and other social media sites. I have also started a mini web series for the winery called Harvest Ridge Uncorked, and I am currently working on the fourth episode.

Do you feel co-op has helped you get closer to attaining your goals?

Yes! This co-op is very challenging, but it provides a great opportunity for me to push my creativity. I have also seen just how demanding and time consuming the editing process is, which is something I would prefer to experience now as a student rather than a professional. I’ve learned with editing you have to work on it every day. This co-op gave me the chance to practice my editing skills, really develop them, and I feel I am getting closer to finding my own voice as an editor.

kaitlin2What made you decide to pursue a co-op position?

This is my second Bachelor’s degree, so this time around I wanted to be involved as much as possible. I thought the co-op would give me the opportunity I was looking for to practice my film making skills. I thought it would also help me build my connections and resources that I will later need down the road.

What has been your favorite part(s) of your co-op experience?

My favorite part about the co-op experience, honestly, is seeing my finished product. I never thought I would actually have the time, energy, and talent to create a five minute program, let alone a ten minute program! Seeing the progress I am making makes me feel I am getting closer to my dream of working in the film industry.

Would you recommend the co-op program to other students? Why or why not?

I would absolutely recommend the co-op program to other students, and I have! It challenges you and gives you an opportunity to apply the skills you learn in the classroom. I’ve really discovered new things about myself that I may not have realized if I didn’t apply. You really don’t have anything to lose and everything to gain when applying for a co-op position.

What’s stopping you from building your future? Learn more about the Office of Cooperative Education at: http://www.wilmu.edu/coop or send an email to capcoop@wilmu.edu.

Comments

comments