Meet a Wildcat Co-op: Sergio C.

Sergio CSergio is a Behavioral Science major who expects to graduate next summer. After graduation, his goal is to join Delaware’s Probation and Parole department. Further down the road, he would like to join a local police department. Along his path toward achieving those goals, he obtained a co-op position at the Ferris School for Boys, a level 5 correctional/treatment facility for adjudicated males ages 13 to 18. He completed his co-op experience just this past summer.

I asked Sergio what made him decide to pursue a co-op position, to which he replied: “A situation at work motivated me to pursue the co-op program.  I’m a security guard at a local commercial building. One day, my supervisor and I responded to call regarding an intoxicated individual.  Long story short, we detained an intoxicated juvenile carrying an open container.  I felt bad for the child because he spilled his life story with us.  A month later, I received an email about an opportunity at Mowlds Cottage [a six-week transition program that follows a stay at Ferris School]. This opportunity allowed me to observe the rehabilitative process from the staff and juvenile point of view.”

When asked his favorite part of his co-op experience, he says: “My favorite part is hearing stories from each of the employee about their goals and motivations to work with at risk juveniles.  I spoke with the staff and I found the majority are passionate about helping the children to succeed.  The staff wants the children to leave the lock-down facility with better career and education skills, confidence and coping skills.”

Sergio says he recommends the co-op program to students with similar career goals and a passion to help children attain a better pathway in life.

What’s stopping you from building your future? Learn more about the Office of Cooperative Education at: http://www.wilmu.edu/coop or send an email to capcoop@wilmu.edu.

Comments

comments